leaking isolator valves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are isolator valves worth fitting? I ask only because every time I have fitted them, when it comes to using them for the first time after several years of not being turned, they seem to leak and need to be replaced! am I buying the wrong ones? The ones I have now that need to be replaced are from Screwfix and have a screwdriver slot to turn the valve. Looking inside them there is what appears to be a hex or allen key type socket.... can this be tightened to make them more watertight? Would a "Peglar" type with a lever be better? They on a shower pump with about 2.5 Metres head of water.
So many questions... and thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Good quality ones are worth fitting, but a cheap one is just a plumbing time bomb.

If you're getting leaks on first use then you're not spending enough money. Screwfix are renowned for selling bad stuff for low prices.

You can't service them - the hex socket can't be used to tighten anything.

I don't know what you mean by "Pegler type". A Peglar valve would be better merely because they're good quality. Lever valves tend to be better quality, and also less restrictive because they have a bigger bore, but you can also buy full-bore spherical valves that a screwdriver slot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back