Leaking main cold water storage tank overflow every morning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can I have a bit of advice as to how to resolve this - Every morning the main cold water storage tank overflows a small (I mean not a raging torrent) of water until we start to consume some of the water and the level in the tank drops. What seems to be happening is that when the ball cock is lifted up to it's maximum with the rising water level, the valve does not shut off completely and this then allows the water to ever so gradually continue rising until it reaches the overflow and this is where the problem seems to be. Question is, is will I have to change both the ball cock for a more adjustable one and also replace the shut off valve or do you think that a more adjustable ball cock alone will do the trick?. If I pull the ball cock up with my hand the valve shuts the inflowing water off (albeit I have to pull up with some force for it to do this), but relying on the ball cock and rising water level alone will not shut it off.

Sponsored Links
Fit a new ball cock, it's easy and will only cost a few pounds.

If you really want the practice, you can take the old one apart on your kitchen table, after you've fitted the new one, and change the washer.

I like to keep a spare ballcock ready for use, next to the cold tank.

Depends what you've got. Certainly sometimes a new valve, or half a new valve, is the easiest fix.

Sponsored Links
JohnD, I appreciate reading your posts as your answers are always thoughtful of ease and of the novice, which I'm sure some of these Gas Guys forget.

This is not the first time that I have read you telling the OP to get a new one and take the old one apart on a table at your leisure. That can only be deemed as good advice and taking apart and putting back together is a great learning process and as you have said before is not so easy in a dimly lit loft. CHEERS.....!

:D :cool: :D :cool: :D

i encountered a similar problem like yours. i dont know how many merchants i asked for a washer and they just looked at me as if to say, are you for real? i couldnt get one anywhere. i had to get a completely new one and even then i also had to get a valve for low pressure which i had to file the nose down because it wouldnt fit between the white piston and washer. her vent over her f and e had a stop end on it and she had no vent over cold water tank cos i followed it as it terminated through roof. you have to be carefull when you go to peoples houses just what shape their plumbings in before you start.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back