Overflow in main water tank

I had a brass equilibreum valve once, very expensive, I particularly remember the makers said you had to use a 6-inch copper float. I presume it takes a lot of leverage to shut it off securely.

Don't know why, the more modern plastic equilibreums have a tiny float.

It might help to bend the arm so the float sits lower in the tank and would be fully submerged before it overflowed.

AFAIK they are not widely used, I seem to remember they were popular on farm livestock trough supplies where pressure can vary a lot.

Thanks. I have bent the arm, but it still doesn't shut off. Will get the float you suggest and try that.

I live in a rural village ... maybe the pressure varies a lot ... similar to the livestock troughs you mentioned.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
It's the snooker that clears the mind :cool:

Ok stupid question time.

You have fitted a high pressure ballvalve and not a low pressure. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
the brass one is supposed to cope with varying pressures

My question said, "you have fitted high pressure ballvalve" meaning if he has low pressure ones it could be why the OP is having problems.

Equilibrium valves are an idea for a fix, to a problem that is un-real and shouldn't be happening, if the right valves were fitted.

Which Dorset village are you in?

Presumably when the ball valve came you fitted the seat insert with the SMALLEST hole in it ?

Tony

Pressure reducing valve...around £20 :idea: Peglers Brass equib. valve = £70 :eek: 3 pages and counting :LOL: :LOL: Are all the PHd gas fitters out of work and posting here :?: My shrink says the repeition thing is OCD . My shrink says OCD I say, OCD

It's the snooker that clears the mind :cool:

Ok stupid question time.

You have fitted a high pressure ballvalve and not a low pressure. :rolleyes:

I *believe* it is a high pressure valve .... its what the plumbers said was needed!

Presumably when the ball valve came you fitted the seat insert with the SMALLEST hole in it ?

Tony

It came as a complete unit .... screw the old one off, screw the new one on.

I have fitted 4 new brass equilibrium ball valves in the past year.
Who was it who defined insanity as doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results?

You got me! It was the quickest way to cure the problem each time - even if it was only a temporary fix. Been so busy with other stuff, I didn't have time to do anything else. Now finally trying to get a bit of sanity and looking for a longer cure.

But sure - been insane the last couple of years.

:oops:

Will try to get replacement washers and the 6" copper ball someone recommended earlier on.

Tony

It came as a complete unit .... screw the old one off, screw the new one on.

That is not a good plan :rolleyes: you should change the whole valve.

You should also check the nozzle is only a couple of mm and not 5-6mm.

let me know if you're chucking the old valves out :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back