Overflow in main water tank

or even this

dia
making-fun-054.GIF

:LOL: :LOL: ;)

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Something like this.

http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/compression-pressure-0-4215?CAWELAID=205025543[/QUOTE]

Many thanks - again!

Do I put that in the tank before the valve .... think it might be time to call a plumber.....

On the pipe going to the tank, easy DIY job.

Easy for someone who knows what they are doing and who doesn't wreck 99 percent of the things they touch. Really think I'd better call a plumber rather than flood the house and get into trouble with the family!

When you've chamged the valve, did you change the float or reuse the old one?

I've done both at different times. Change the float and reused an old float.

At the moment I have a choice of 2 floats, but they both perform in the same way... they don't close off the valve completely.

you say you are fitting brass equilibreum valves? (they are very expensive). It is expensive to fit a new one, you should be able to re-washer them. Or send your old ones to me ;)

They need an extra-large float, I believe they recommend a 6-inch copper float.

If they start to leak after they have been in a while, I wonder if they are getting grit or scale in them?

An equilibrium valve does not need a pressure reducer, they cope with a vast range of pressures.

you say you are fitting brass equilibreum valves? (they are very expensive). It is expensive to fit a new one, you should be able to re-washer them. Or send your old ones to me ;)

They need an extra-large float, I believe they recommend a 6-inch copper float.

If they start to leak after they have been in a while, I wonder if they are getting grit or scale in them?

An equilibrium valve does not need a pressure reducer, they cope with a vast range of pressures.

They've cost about 25 quid a time. (100 quid when the plumbers have fitted them.) I've thrown 5 away. Have got 3 left. I'll have to see if I can get some new washers for them. Thanks for the idea. Can't see any grid or dirt or degradation.

I'll try a 6 inch copper float.

Thanks to all!!!

Are you sure its not just leaning backwards due to pipework issues?

I've had it few times where pipework is pulling down on the side of the tank. Usually worse with unsupported steel pipework.

Thanks for the suggestion. The pipework is secured to a wooden frame and is fairly rigid, so I don't *think* that's an issue.

Cheers

I had a brass equilibreum valve once, very expensive, I particularly remember the makers said you had to use a 6-inch copper float. I presume it takes a lot of leverage to shut it off securely.

Don't know why, the more modern plastic equilibreums have a tiny float.

It might help to bend the arm so the float sits lower in the tank and would be fully submerged before it overflowed.

AFAIK they are not widely used, I seem to remember they were popular on farm livestock trough supplies where pressure can vary a lot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back