Reasons why F & E overflows?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
apart from a faulty float valve letting water by, or a hole in the float ball preventing the float arm rising and shutting off the supply, and a pinhole in the hot water cylinder coil, what other reasons are there for a Feed & Expanison tank overflowing?

Sponsored Links
constantly overflowing?

could be a shower backfilling the cylinder.

Sponsored Links
my mistake. i skipped over it when i read hot water cylinder. :oops:

Agree with powell30. 9/10 times blockage is where cold feed from F&E joins on to return pipework.

Can clear with gently tapping of pipework to dislodge anything there, magnets either side to try and sift a blockage, try tipping down kind of pipe clearing solution down the outlet from the F&E if thats possible. Alternatively can try and cut out the blocked section and replace - but be careful when doing this as the blockage may be preventing the system from draining down correctly and when you cut into the pipework you may get drowned :LOL: Might be best if you are going to go that route to freeze the pipes you want to cut out.

have seen overflow from cws terminating over f&e and causing that to overflow to outside. would be fairly obvious though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back