New float valve and still overflowing

Is your heating system sealed? with a filling loop and gauge? if not, there is another header tank somewhere? Is there 2 ballvalves in tank?

Could be mixer taps seeping by?
Or thermal tank with hot water off main water?
Or pinhole leak on coil, with pump on flow if header tanks on same level?

Sponsored Links
:rolleyes: I know. I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure it should be tidier than that. It does work, most of the time anyway!!! :D House was built in '94 and believe all the plumbing is original.

can you take a photo of whole cylinder in frame?

It look like a thermal tank...... Pinhloe leak on coil inside cylinder.

Is your heating system sealed? with a filling loop and gauge? if not, there is another header tank somewhere? Is there 2 ballvalves in tank?

Could be mixer taps seeping by?
Or thermal tank with hot water off main water?
Or pinhole leak on coil, with pump on flow if header tanks on same level?

Not sure if it's sealed? There is no other tank anywhere in the house and there is just the one ball valve in the copper header tank.

We did put a new mixer tap in the kitchen (ground floor) last summer but it's been fine for months - only just started overflowing.

Sponsored Links
IMG_1534.JPG

whats holing that copper tank in the air all i can see is a bit of 2x1 screwed to the wall ? and the 2nd 15mm pipe from the left, the one with a ball-o-fix on it... does it connect into the side of the tank? or go over the top of the tank?

Yep, a thermal store cylinder. Pinhole leak on coil. DHW goes via coil from main cold water thus pressure from main leaking into cylinder thus raising water level in header tank.

These 2 pumps is one for boiler primary and other for heating radiator.

The steel ball is the small expasion vessel or shock arrester and is part of DHW pipework, on left of ball is the blending valve.

new cylinder :cry:

Dan

Yep, a thermal store cylinder. Pinhole leak on coil. DHW goes via coil from main cold water thus pressure from main leaking into cylinder thus raising water level in header tank.

The steel ball is the small expasion vessel or shock arrester and is part of DHW pipework, on left of ball is the blending valve.

Dan

havnt heard of these cylinders for years :( forgot how they work. are they the ones with two coils ?

whats holing that copper tank in the air all i can see is a bit of 2x1 screwed to the wall ? and the 2nd 15mm pipe from the left, the one with a ball-o-fix on it... does it connect into the side of the tank? or go over the top of the tank?

There are a couple of lugs on the top of the tank that fix it to the wall but yeah it could be more secure i think...

ball valve is the copper tank inlet that is connected to the float valve inside the tank.

Dan

Thanks for the identification even though I don't have a clue what they are!! :confused: :oops: Yeah the FAQ said it might be a hole in the coil. What's DHW? Direct hot water?

Not sure why there's two pumps. That confused my Dad too!! :mrgreen:

Go on, then give it to me, what am I looking at for a new cylinder? :cry:

have you checked the ball vavle set properly by lifting the arm up and see if it shuts off
and have u looked inside the copper tank

Dan

havnt heard of these cylinders for years :( forgot how they work. are they the ones with two coils ?

It a direct thermal cylinder. Something like this:
[/img]

A = main cold feed
B = hot water outlet
C = imm heater
D = drain valve
F = boiler connector
G = heating connector
I = store vent

DHW = domestic hot water

Dan

have you checked the ball vavle set properly by lifting the arm up and see if it shuts off
and have u looked inside the copper tank

Sorry, yeah that's the thing. When I originally drained the copper tank and fitted a new rubber washer / diaphragm and a new float valve I watched the tank fill up and stop at the correct level. I honestly thought I'd cracked it when I watched the water stop coming in. Morning after the tank was overflowing again. :cry:

right ball vavles out then is water dirty and does tank get hot
and yes it does know sound like need a new cylinder

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back