Leaking mixer spout

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a mixer tap in kitchen which leaks from base of spout but only when hot water is turned on. Can anyone advise what problem is and how I repair? Tried to remove spout to have a look but cannot find any screw at rear and swivelling spout to side and lifting doesn't work either.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Probably a worn O ring seal. Theres so many taps on the market that I wouldn't be expecting more help on this. Perhaps if you post a picture or three then someone may have some experience of it and be able to help.

Couple of images attached.
Have played about with spout and discovered that there is a collar at the base which unscrews and this allows the whole spout to unscrew but only so far and then it just turns. Any ideas?

I suspect the spout is jammed in place because an O-ring has hardened and split.

With that collar loosened, try a bit more upwards pulling force, while twisting at the same time. As much force as you dare without ripping the thing off the sink ;)

Without wanting to seem rude, the tap gives the impression of being fairly middle-aged and inexpensive. So replacement might be a sensible option if you struggle too much with repair.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for advice. I'll try that.
I agree tap is past its best but not sure my skills stretch to replacing and awkward to get at!

If there is no screw, it just pulls out, with a bit of effort and confidence. The next challenge is finding the correct sized o ring. If you get that far, buy a few spare, as it will leak again

Have you tried turning the spout so that it is parallel with yur window-sill; and THEN trying to pull it free of the tap body? Try it one way - say towards the hot tap-head - and if that doesn't work, try towards the cold tap head.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back