Leaking overflow - do I need second opinion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My external overflow pipe (from loft?) is dripping quite constantly when water or heating on. When this happened last year, the ball valve was replaced which solved problem. This year the advice is that I have a power flush (but was told this is not a good option because it may damage pipes or radiators), or upgrade central heating system. This seems a bit extreme for a problem resolved last year with a ball valve but should I get a second opinion (the person who advised the options was from a reputable company). Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Well it's easy to prove a ball valve; just go upstairs into the loft and look at it... :arrow: :idea:

Yes; it's possible that your system might have a blockage forming; but there could be other reasons too depending on your system type etc...

Why was you informed that the powerflush would damage your system? What are your pipes made from and what type of system have you got?

katelw said:
reputable company

...or Grittish Bas? They usually recommend powerflush or new boiler, depending on how they feel.

Powerflush won't resolve a leaking ballcock causing an overflow.

If there is a blockage on the system the pump may be forcing water out of the F/E pipe.

Check the ballcock first, its the easiest and cheapest thing to do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back