Leaking overflow from the attic - help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a leak from my cold water tank in the attic when water has not been used recently, and no hot water.

The ball valve seems fine.

I have another smaller hot water tank that is higher up than the main tank.

I'm guessing that the hot water tank is leaking back into the main tank, thus causing overflow and the lack of hot water? I do not know how to fix this - please help!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks Dan,

Is it not likely that the current cylinder can be fixed? A new one is expensive...

Thanks

Sponsored Links
As Dan says or maybe a passing mixer valve? , is cold water to outlets fed via mains or cold water storage cistern?

Issolate ballvalve to higher cistern and note if water level lowers.

Thanks gaswizzard,

There is a cold water storage cistern in the attic. Could it be possible that there are some cold water outlets that use mains AND others that use the cold water cistern? If so then might there be a dodgy mixer valve/tap feeding cold water back up the hot water pipes, thus causing a lack of hot water and overflowing the cold water tank in the attic?

Thank you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back