Leaking overflow pipe help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I am new to this forum and a bit of a novice handyman so please bear with me and any help would be gratefully received .

For the past few weeks I have had what I believe to be my overflow pipe(small grey pipe outside of roof) leaking . It can sometimes drip a little or sometimes drip in a constant flow.

Now if I run the hot tap for a few minutes it will stop for a few hours or even for a day but it will leak again dependant on how much hot water I use.

From what I gather from the internet and this forum Im lead to believe this could be a faulty ballcock or valve or some kind of pressure problem . I need to know how to accertain what this problem is and if I would be able to fix it myself or if i need to call a plumber in.

Any help would be gratefully accepted
Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
It would help if you could go into you're loft and find out where this pipe is connected to ie your stored water tank ,your header tank and we'l be able to help with more info

ok thanks i will jump up into the loft and have a butchers....is there anyway to tell what tank its connected to ? ie which one is which ? sorry if thats a dumb question as im kinda clueless when it comes to plumbing .

thanks for your quick reply

Sponsored Links
put the ladders away if it stops when you run hot tap its the hot water cyclinder feed biggest of the two!

oh not the cws then.
hummm.gif

just bend the ballcock a bit and your tanks water level wont rise up as far therefore it wont go down your overflow pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back