Leaking pipe and strange overflow setup

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Last week I found water dripping down the wall in my stairwell; turning the heating off stopped it.

Having had a fun weekend ripping up the carpet and floor in my (converted) loft, I can see where the water is coming from but I can't understand how things have been set up.

As far as I can see
- the water is coming out the end of an open plastic pipe that ends just above the stairwell
- the pipe runs back under the water tank and it looks like it connects to the overflow pipes coming from the water tank and central heating overflow tank
- although I can't see it (can't get to it) I think the overflow pipes also connect to the external overflow pipe coming out of the soffits (it's in the right place)

This diagram might make it clearer..(click to enlarge)

So I *think* the overflow pipes must come into a T junction, one branch going outside and the other branch connecting to a pipe that runs 10 feet the other direction and just drips water under the floor into the stairwell..!

The obvious fix is to cap off the interior pipe. But I'm wondering is there any reason why this pipe is needed? Why on earth would would a pipe that could get water in it be left open inside the house?

(Note I'm sure this is where the leak is coming from as it is in the right place and the end is wet; also the overflow tank is full so turning the heating on would probably force water into the overflow system)

Any thoughts gratefully appreciated!

R.

Sponsored Links
Not read all your post but which tank is it coming from and how high is the water level when system is cold? :D

Look like it is the CH overflow tank.

Just been monitoring it - the level when cold is quite high (above ballcock).

When boiler came on for hot water, water started coming in the top pipe. I put on the CH heating as well, and although water is still coming in, it hasn't reached the overflow yet so it must be going out as well.

I've put a temporary plug on the end of the leaking pipe and lifted it up so it's a bit of a gradient to make it harder for any water to get out.

Sponsored Links
the level when cold is quite high (above ballcock).
:eek:

Set your water level at 4 inches from bottom by bending the arm. Play about until you achieve water cut off at this level.

Drain some water out of a drain cock downstairs and post back if you need to. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back