Overflow Pipe in Cold Water Tank Leaking

gfp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 1980s ground floor flat with a cold water storage tank that has an overflow pipe in the centre that is connected to the over flow pipe via a hole in the base of the tank.
There has been a drip coming from the overflow pipe outside for some time now and I drained the tank to investigate.
I removed and cleaned the centre pipe mentioned - it has a slightly tapered end but no rubber seal (not sure if it should have a seal?). I pushed the pipe back in to the fitting (I could not look at the fitting closely due to position of tank) as securely as possible and refilled the tank.
Still the overflow was leaking so I unassembled the piping at the base of the tank and it was dripping quite heavily confirming the leak is definitely coming from the pipe through the base of the tank and out through the overflow pipe.
Any ideas on how I can go about fixing this???
Thanks for any help offered!
G

Sponsored Links
r you sure its not just the ball valve over flowing the system it might just be a worn washer in the valve. very easy to fix. if you can get to it.

No, that's what I thought it would be at first, but the ball valve is in good condition (quite new) and the water level is well below the level of the top of overflow pipe...

gfp said:
I have a 1980s ground floor flat with a cold water storage tank that has an overflow pipe in the centre that is connected to the over flow pipe via a hole in the base of the tank.
There has been a drip coming from the overflow pipe outside for some time now and I drained the tank to investigate.
I removed and cleaned the centre pipe mentioned - it has a slightly tapered end but no rubber seal (not sure if it should have a seal?). I pushed the pipe back in to the fitting (I could not look at the fitting closely due to position of tank) as securely as possible and refilled the tank.
Still the overflow was leaking so I unassembled the piping at the base of the tank and it was dripping quite heavily confirming the leak is definitely coming from the pipe through the base of the tank and out through the overflow pipe.
Any ideas on how I can go about fixing this???
Thanks for any help offered!
G

Not sure i understand exactly what you are saying but if the tank is filling up other than through the ballcock then the coil in your hot water cylinder has gone :?:
Do you have 2 tanks in loft ?

Sponsored Links
The tank is filling up thru the ball cock as normal and that is functioning okay (the water level is not reaching the top of the overflow pipe).

The problem is that water is escaping out the bottom of the tank and out through the overflow pipe. The overflow pipe in the tank is a straight plastic pipe about three feet long connected to the base of the tank. Water it is escaping via the connector at the base of the tank, which seems to be faulty, and it's this base connection that I'm looking for info on.

Cheers

water is escaping out the bottom of the tank and out through the overflow pipe
:eek:

Think you need to reconfigure the pipework then as the feed pipe is not meant to join the overflow pipe :LOL:

The water feed is separate and comes in near the top of the tank - it is functioning fine...

The water feed is separate and comes in near the top of the tank - it is functioning fine...

gfp said:

I am still confused but why don't you turn off the stop tap,drain tank and either fit new tank connector or tighten the leaking one ?

The over flow pipe must come out near the top.
Any other pipes in the tank must be..

1. The main feed TO the tank
2. A feed from the tank to the water system Ie cold and hot taps .

sounds like an Elson or similar :confused: with a standing overflow

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back