Leaking pipe? behind shower cavity...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I was wondering if someone could help me. Behind my shower there are some pipes which are leaking, I've been collecting the water in a plastic container. Its nearly full now and its been in there a few months. I first started investigating when I noticed a funny smell in the bathroom. I don't really understand what the pipes are supposed to be doing? Or if its a bit of a bodge job? It does looks strange to me. The copper pipe has some green residue on the inside of it so I think water is definitely coming out of there, not sure from where or why.

Could someone maybe give me a few hints whats going on from the photos? Does the piping look correct and sound?

Sponsored Links
Is that an open ended pipe above your plastic container? Any idea where it comes from? Is it from your boiler by any chance?

the top picture makes me think its a blow off possibly from an unvented cylinder that hasnt been returned into the soil pipe which is open hence the bad smell , looks a fairly new build judging by the studwork , possibly an apartment ? if this is the case then that copper pipe would need retuning into the open soil stack ,,and you would need to get someone round to investigate why the pressure relief valve was passing water into that pipe in the 1st place

hi, thanks for your replies.

yes spot on, its a new build apartment (approx. 4 years old) and the copper pipe is open ended which is sitting above the plastic container ive put under it.

there are 2 main boilers in the block of flats (around 30 flats) that feed into hot water tanks in each apartment. the copper pipe seems to be coming from the hot water tank which is next door to the cavity behind the shower.

so are you saying this is a bit of a bodge job? the copper pipe should be returning into the soil stack (the pipe with the white cap on?)

why is water coming out of the copper pipe?

thanks for your help, just trying to understand whats going on and if i need to get a plumber out or even contact the original building company.

Sponsored Links
Typical new build, I would contact the original building company, if that pipe is the discharge from an unvented it could pour out very hot water at very high pressure.

as has been said i would try to contact the original builders , failing that get a plumber in to sort it out , without knowing the entire set up it would be foolish of us to advise you to mess with something that is (probably)basically a safety device that yes should return into the soil pipe and is designed to release water when the cylinder becomes over pressured so that in itself needs investigating, it does not appear to be a bodge job as such , more a job that has not been fully completed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back