leaking pipe under concrete floor!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Need to access and repair a leaking heating pipe which is buried in concrete, had a guy with thermal image camera find the leak, so no problems there.

Just wondered what the best way is to dig the floor up?

How for down are the pipes likely to be? Assume an inch or so?

I have sds chisels and drills, is that the best way, or back to a good old lump hammer and chisel?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Easier to disconnect the offending pipe (s) and leave in situ and do a new connection IMHO.

Not a nice job digging up concrete. :(

sds is the best way - much more localised chiselling involved in this.

Wouldn't assume "just an inch"

it is going to be near very difult to dig up your central heatng pipes with out actually damaging it further unless you know exactly where the pipe run is and how deep it is

your best bet is to disconnect and surface run the ofending pipe run

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the info guys, have thought about running new pipework on surface, but I think the room and radiator layout will make this difficult, see image!

View media item 19498
Due to this think the only way is to find the leak and try to repair. The other worry of course is that further leaks will occur if the copper has been corroded! Which I can only assume is the reason for the initial leak

Use a decent diamond tip flooring saw and saw a section about two foot square over the offending section and remove this entirely with a decent breaker. Don't fiddle about with weak breakers as though you were on an archaeological dig.
Attack it!
With at least 12 joules of impact energy. ;)
A decent sledge might even pulverise it after sawing with the right man on the end of the shaft.
The pipe ends will then be nicely cut and exposed and you can easily see what you're doing to expose them further and join in the new piece.

Personally I would expand the ends and braze the new piece in.
If the copper hasn't been protected from the screed and other leaks are likely to happen then perhaps a re-pipe is necessary.
It may of course just be a failed joint!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back