Help ! How do I mend mangled pipes under concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've been a right plonka and SDS chiselled into our water pipes while investigating a potential leak under the floor (there definitely is a leak now!)

Hot pipe has a split caused by the SDS chisel
Cold pipe has a circular hole

I can't isolate that section

WTF do I do :(

Whenever I try to chisel away the concrete the pipes just get more mangled :(

HELP !

ps the pipes weren't sleeved so I guess the one good point is that it may have been the cause of our damp walls

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Thanks Graham - I probably will do that :(

But it is a diy forum so I thought I'd ask ....

Turn off your water,if you have a combi that will be sufficient,if you have stored hot water then it may be a little more awkward. My advice would be to put away the SDS and get a cold chisel and lump hammer, chisel away at least 5 inches either side of were you think pipes are. Get back when you have found out what a cold chisel is. :LOL:

Hey, I always try to fix things at home, but there comes a time when.....

That aside, how long do you want to go without water?

You could just chisel away enough floor to get back to some undamaged pipe (assuming you could do this without damaging more pipe, then replace damaged section of pipe with some new pipe.

It's an idea.... ;)

If those pipes are not sleeved in concrete they're going to fail at some point anyway! (If, as you say, they havent already, hence original leak....) Use this as an opportunity to replace them properly.

Calling a plumber at this stage is unlikely to be any help.
Unless he has a 12" diamond saw and a decent kango with about 18 joules.

First job is to cut 90 degress to the pipes and expose the pipe ends using the kango.
Then stick some wire into the pipes to ascertain their direction and spacing.
Then slice every side of the pipes with the diamond saw back at least 300mm, then another slice about 100mm out.
Then remove those sections with the kango.

Slicing underneath with a 4" diamond blade should now be possible also.

Your now left with a weak leg of concrete surrounding the pipes.
Gentle tapping with a hammer should remove it. Treat it like an archeological "time team" dig at this point.

Now your ready for the plumber. :D

eugh well this has turned into an expensive day of DIY :(

Thanks all

Given the dampness in that area of the house and the fact that the pipe isn't sleeved we've decided to disconnect that whole section ... which is a much bigger job - as it is a spur from under the kitchen floor (also concrete :( )

As a temporary fix would it be possible to seal/block up the pipe somehow (we can live without the downstairs loo/sink until we do the main fix ?

Soldering/inject some kind of sealant etc ?

Your plumber might be able to drop a blob of solder unto it.
I'd probably braze it.

It would need a big hole cleared round - I don`t fancy popping concrete from the brazing torch - I suppose I could invest in some ppe ;) . If they`re low pressure supplies I might try some epoxy putty :confused:

Don't bodge it, dig the whole pipe run up and re pipe inside a protective duct or coated copper!
If you eventually manage to fix this damage and original leak, it will leak again because the copper has been attacked by the concrete!
Repipe the concrete section.

Have called in a professional :)

Hopefully he can just cap the end for us...

Then we're going to isolate that whole run under the floor and repipe in some boxing in (that's already there)

Thanks all for your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back