LEAK IN HEATING PIPE UNDER CONCRETE.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI. I AM AFTER SOME HELPFULL TIPS AND ADVICE FOR THE FOLLOWING PROBLEM.
I HAVE A COMBI BOILER WHICH HAS BEEN LOSING PRESSURE ON A REGULAR BASIS OVER THE LAST FEW MONTHS. I HAVE JUST DISCOVERED A WET PATCH UNDER THE CARPET IN THE HALL UNDER ONE OF THE RADIATORS . THERE APPEARS TO BE A LEAK FROM THE PIPE THAT FEEDS THE RADIATOR . THE HOUSE IS ABOUT 35 YEARS OLD AND ITS SMALL BORE PIPING. I THINK THE LEAK IS NEAR THE SURFACE AS THE WET AREA IS FAIRLY SMALL. I AM GOING TO CHISEL OUT THE CONCRETE AND TRY AND EXPOSE THE LEAK . WHAT I NEED FROM THE EXPERTS IS ANY TIPS AND HELP TO TRY AND RESOLVE THIS WITHOUT MAKING A PIGS EAR OUT OF IT. MANY THANKS TV MAN. :confused:

Sponsored Links
I FORGOT TO SAY THAT THIS RADIATOR IS RIGHT NEXT TO THE FRONT DOOR SO THERE IS A LOT OF FOOT TRAFFIC OVER WHERE THE PIPE IS BURIED. TV MAN

Expose the underground pipe by starting at the point where it exits the floor heading for the radiator, and carefully chisel away the concrete until the entire pipe is exposed. Find a convenient place where the pipe can be cut into, and the joint can be re-made there. Encase any new pipework in some flexible conduit pipe to prevent further attack before screeding over. Cheers John

From my experience, once you fix one leak you will probably get another in a few months time :oops:

Sponsored Links
would a leak sealer not work? it would for me with a leaking joint. i know its a different problem but for the sake of a tenner is it worth a go before hacking the floor up?

hopefully some plumbers can advise you on this because im not one.

Thank you all for your input, I thought about leak sealer but as its small bore piping I am a bit wary, any thoughts on that , Regards TV man

As to date I have never had any leak sealer last for more than about 4 months.

It will depend on how big the 'hole' is as to whether it will work ;)

I think I will try the Fernox Superconcentrate leak sealer , its worth a try before trying to expose the leak. Regards TV man.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back