Another copper pipe in concrete problem.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have some leaks in the (concrete) ground floor of our Victorian house. I have pulled up the laminate flooring, underlay and plastic membrane to investigate further. This has entailed removing the concrete over a 3 to 4 sq metre area – this has taken quite a while using a drill with a few masonry bits, a hammer and a cold chisel.

The first leak is coming from the two 22mm shower pipes, These run at about 3 metres twixt the hot water cylinder and the shower valve and will not be particularly difficult to replace.

On the other hand the second leak is from amongst the half a dozen 15mm pipes which are on both the radiator circuit and hot and cold water supply to the bathroom and kitchen. It is the kitchen I think that is going to be a real problem as it is very large and the sink is positioned at the end farthest from where the floor has been removed. Taking up all of the floor here will take a lot of work and no doubt require hiring a kangoo hammer or such like.

My question is would it be wiser to rerun replacement pipes say along the inside of new skirting boards and if so how does one get round the problem of crossing doorways etc? Also is it safe to leave the existing pipes where they are as they will be disconnected from their current supplies?

Thanks in advance for any advice. ;)

Sponsored Links
all pipes that run in concrete floors should be insulated or run in a proper duct.
concrete will eat away at copper over time

I do realise this. The pipes are insulated in that hessian material, but that is quite insubstantial. Any ideas as to what should be done at this stage?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back