copper pipe in concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i'm extending my kitchen and need to move my outside tap. where the pipe has to be laid i will be covering it with a concrete floor. will the concrete corrode the copper pipe, if so is their a special pipe i should buy.

Sponsored Links
When copper pipes are laid in solid floors they must be protected against failure by movement of the floor.

Methods used to protect copper pipes:

1 A plastic sheath set into the floor with cement mortar. No joints should be located in the sleeve.

2 Burying - Pipes which have been protected laid on top of base concrete and covered by a screed. Pipes up to 28mm may be buried and a minimum cover of 20mm must be applied. When pipes are to be buried in magnesium-oxy-chloride cement or magnesite flooring copper is the only material recommended (BS6891) and must be factory plastic coated.

Dave

Any pipe carrying mains water has to be in a purpose-made conduit anyway. And yes - concrete WILL corrode copper and it MUST be protected.

Ditto as croydoncorgi has said, concrete WILL corrode copper :)

Sponsored Links
I would never bury a pipe in a floor (or wall) unless there was no option.

If I had to though I would use plastic or copper pipework in a pipe in pipe arrangement with no joints. That is the only time I would choose to use plastic pipework.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back