Water pipes in concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to lay some water pipes in the concrete floor.

There is some sticky stuff you need to wrap round the pipe to stop the concrete corroding the copper pipe. What is it, where can I buy it?

Sponsored Links
You're talking of Densotape. Get it at an ironmongers (if you can find one these days!).

Get a pack of plastic gloves too. It's really sticky 'orrible stuff - you will prefer to soil your hands with the proverbial than the denso stuff, which sticks far worse.

You've got me a bit worried now. I had a new water main installed about 12 months ago. It comes up through a concrete floor and doesn't have anything wrapped around it.

Sponsored Links
CAISTROP said:
I had a new water main installed about 12 months ago, and it doesn't have anything wrapped around it.

Should be blue mdpe plastic and will be ok. :D

It's definately copper, installed by my next door neighbour. He dug a hole in the concrete floor, soldered the new copper pipe onto the existing lead pipe, refilled the hole and relaid the concrete. Also, according to the electrics UK forum, should there be an earth wire attached to the water mains? Mine hasn't got one.

CAISTROP said:
It's definately copper, installed by my next door neighbour. He dug a hole in the concrete floor, soldered the new copper pipe onto the existing lead pipe, refilled the hole and relaid the concrete. Also, according to the electrics UK forum, should there be an earth wire attached to the water mains? Mine hasn't got one.

And he shouldn't have soldered the lead either. If you keep your fingers crossed and don't stand on that bit of the floor, you might be lucky and not have a burst pipe in a few years.

If you look on the pages by the copper development association, you'll find advice on how to put copper pipes in concrete floors. Wickes do a free leaflet telling you how to do the earth bonding, or at least did last time i looked

Thanks for the info guys. I think it will be a good idea to let a professional take a look.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back