Piping under concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
yesterday whilst fitting a toilet to a concrete floor I drilled through a water pipe buried in the concrete.
It had been a long day and despite turning off the stop tap there was still a drip flow so I got a plumber out to fix it.
What surprised me was that he didn't use copper but plastic pipe with one brass compression joint onto the copper and a push-fit elbow to turn the pipe vertical where it will come up from the ground. He reckoned this would be better than copper as it wouldn't corrode.
Would anyone back this up for my peace of mind please?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
what like speedfit or hep2O?
copper buried in concrete corrodes if not protected, there is nothing wrong with plastic, it's cheaper for the pipe, the fittings are similar cost to brass compression joints - whole houses are done with plastic, copper just does a smarter job.

Yes, it is a speedfit joint and hep20 pipe.
It's just that someone told me copper lasts indefinitely (as long as its protected) whereas plastic will start leaking after 10 years or so. Do you disagree with this?
I'm going to fit central heating in a house soon and was going to use copper but maybe I should consider plastic if it's cheaper?
Thanks

The sealing O rings can give trouble with time. Nothing wrong with modern plastic pipe.
Its the only solution that can give you a joint free installation in domestic installations where pipes are buried.
mlcp is a good option also if you're doing a large enough project.

Sponsored Links
i have done numerous whole housing developments in hep/polyplumb over the last 5 years or so. Not once have i had a call back to a joint leaking.

The problem with buried copper in concrete is where its not protected/insulated and able to expand.

Even so a continuous length of plastic is safer except that an elbow is usually needed to come up to rads. Those usually come up in copper to make it look like a proper job!

Tony

ALL the leaks in concrete that I have ever attended have been leaking joints as a result of stress because the copper was unable to expand.

Tony

Agile , and you know that because ???
The general opinion of leaks on joints is because the flux has not been properly cleaned off and/or the joint is not wrapped and protected and corrosion occurs with the concrete and the joint

Corrosion is obvious as metal is lost and it can occur along the pipe resulting in holes.

Normally moisture is required for corrosion to take place.

I agree that corrosion can occur when unprotected pipes are burried in concrete.

But I have never yet attended a concrete burried corroded pipe ( water or gas ).

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back