How to cover gas pipe in concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

My brother has just had a new boiler fitted and the gas engineer routed a new copper pipe directly from the meter to the new boiler. The old copper pipe that fed the previous boiler came from under the concrete floor, where it tees off to feed the gas supply for the cooker. Although the engineer capped this off above the floor, it started leaking soon after he left. He's come back, dug up the floor and repaired and tested it now but he isn't available for a good while now to repair the floor.

Can the small section of pipe (see pic attached) be simply taped up and concreted over please (as suggested by the engineer) and if so, what sort of tape would be best in this situation? And is there a synthetic alternative to concrete please, as i've read that concrete can corrode the copper in the future? As you can see, it's just a small section of the floor, which will be covered with lino, so the appearance of the finish is not an issue.

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• Gas pipe concrete floor.jpeg
    Gas pipe concrete floor.jpeg
    178.7 KB · Views: 7,140
  • Gas pipe original.jpeg
    Gas pipe original.jpeg
    162 KB · Views: 2,245
Sponsored Links
Can the small section of pipe (see pic attached) be simply taped up and concreted over please (as suggested by the engineer)

I would ask the "engineer" to disconnect the other end of the pipe to ensure that his dubious soldering skills to not result in yet another leak under the floor. The vibration from hacking into the concrete could have affected any other joints along the buried pipe.

Was this "engineer" GasSafe registered ?

Sponsored Links
L56 (Fifth edition) Published 2018

PART D Installation pipework
Regulation 18 Safe use of pipes
Regulation 19 Enclosed pipes
Regulation 20 Protection of buildings
Regulation 21 Clogging precautions
Regulation 22 Testing and purging of pipes
Regulation 23 Marking of pipes
Regulation 24 Large consumers

Regulation 19 Enclosed pipes
Summary of regulation 19
This regulation specifies the restrictions and protective measures for pipes passing through solid walls and floors, cavity walls and building foundations. Conditions are stipulated whereby pipework associated with ‘living flame effect’ fires may be run in a wall cavity. Ducts and voids accommodating installation pipework must be adequately ventilated.
[Regulation 19(1)]
(1) No person shall install any part of any installation pipework in a wall or a floor or standing of solid construction unless it is so constructed and installed as to be protected against failure caused by the movement of the wall, the floor or the standing as the case may be.
208 See the appropriate standard for suitable installation methods (see the Legislative, normative and informative document list at www.gassaferegister.co.uk – details are in the References section).
[Regulation 19(2)–(6)]
(2) No person shall install any installation pipework so as to pass through a wall or a floor or standing of solid construction (whether or not it contains any cavity) from one side to the other unless –
(a) any part of the pipe within such wall, floor or standing as the case may be takes the shortest practicable route; and
(b) adequate means are provided to prevent, so far as is reasonably practicable, any escape of gas from the pipework passing through the wall, floor or standing from entering any cavity in the wall, floor or standing.

Sorry I used the wrong term.

Part D only goes up to paragraph 6 numbnuts .

So where is paragraph 6

But back to the OP's question.

Leaving a live but redundant gas pipe buried in concrete has a higher risk of an adverse incident than if that same pipe was no longer live.

(6) Where any installation pipework is not itself contained in a ventilated duct, no person
shall install any installation pipework in any shaft, duct or void which is not adequately
ventilated
When you are trying to be a smart arse and denigrating someone else's work you should have your schit in order. You persist on commenting on things you know nothing about and it's not fair on the Op's.

FT has already answered the question.

My brother has just had a new boiler fitted and the gas engineer routed a new copper pipe directly from the meter to the new boiler. The old copper pipe that fed the previous boiler came from under the concrete floor, where it tees off to feed the gas supply for the cooker. Although the engineer capped this off above the floor, it started leaking soon after he left. He's come back, dug up the floor and repaired and tested it now but he isn't available for a good while now to repair the floor.

We dont know what was discussed with your sibling,maybe he as a responsible person can discuss this subject here himself and offer more information at what was discussed on site.

The installer returned and rectified the fault,what was discussed on site with your sibling we will never know but please consider the original job is complete and any other work which includes defective concealed pipework will have conditions ie customer to employ their own operative to make good.

kind of doubt the original installer (being busy its winter) will ever want to return and he will not have X ray vision.

thats the legal side sorted :LOL:

:mrgreen: hello bernard :confused:

Thank you all for your replies. Yes, he is Gas Safe registered and I watched him test the work he did. He seemed a little confused about why it had started to leak and asked my brother or his kids had touched the pipe, which they hadn't. Anyway, i'll get some Denso tape and get the job finished.

P.s. And yes, the pipe is not redundant!

So where is Paragraph 19?

Or are you referring to Regulation 19 Paragraph 1?

Sorry I used the wrong term.

For some weird reason, when I read this, this clip from the office popped into my head. If you can’t wait, the bit I’m referring to is at 2:30. Could be Dan and Bernard having a chat. :LOL::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back