Leaking Radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all

I wonder if you can help me, I've installed a new rad on my system, works great. However, I have an annoying/frustrating issue - a leaky rad valve! I've taken the system off, cleaned up and put on, but it still leaks, it seems the valve screw is a fraction of a hair width too loose.

I've wrapped the thread in PT tape quite a few times to get a better hold, and then the radiator screw covered in LSX, but it's still slightly leaking, I wondered what else I can try?

View media item 101794

Sponsored Links
Where exactly is it leaking ? Is it where the valve threads into the radiator , if so you may not be using enough PTFE turns. Its not unusual to have to wrap more than 12 turns. And are you wrapping the PTFE in the correct direction ?

Hi Terry

Ah I didn't know that, I've forgotton which way I wrapped the tape, I think I go the direction of the thread - does it make a difference? In terms of turns, I think I must have done at least 10 turns with the tape flattened, but I have seen plumbers twist the tape into a type of thread and then twist it round so don't know the correct method

[edit]

The leak is the thread going into the rad, the rad thread is only about 5mm depth, nothing there really

Where exactly is it leaking ? Is it where the valve threads into the radiator , if so you may not be using enough PTFE turns. Its not unusual to have to wrap more than 12 turns. And are you wrapping the PTFE in the correct direction ?

Hi Terry

Ah I didn't know that, I've forgotton which way I wrapped the tape, I think I go the direction of the thread - does it make a difference? In terms of turns, I think I must have done at least 10 turns with the tape flattened, but I have seen plumbers twist the tape into a type of thread and then twist it round so don't know the correct method

[edit]

The leak is the thread going into the rad, the rad thread is only about 5mm depth, nothing there really

If you wrap the wrong way as you do the connection up it will want to push the ptfe tape off

Sponsored Links
Defo the right way, had a quick look, I remember leaning this on a video somewhere

I'll drain the system and give it a load of tape on today, I want to own this bugger

If you wrap the wrong way as you do the connection up it will want to push the ptfe tape off

Why drain the system ? You only need to drain the radiator .

Eh ? You close both radiator valves ,put a tray on floor below one valve and slowly undo the nut ( the one near the rad ,not the one near the pipe ), water will start to dribble out ,which will increase if you open the air bleed valve at top of rad. Have a bucket handy .To stop the flow ,tighten the nut up. This will drain the rad but takes a little while.

That's the problem - with this rad it's all or nothing! I've done other rads in the house while decorating doing that method, but this one wants to do it's own thing! It's one of these big designer rads too

Eh ? You close both radiator valves ,put a tray on floor below one valve and slowly undo the nut ( the one near the rad ,not the one near the pipe ), water will start to dribble out ,which will increase if you open the air bleed valve at top of rad. Have a bucket handy .To stop the flow ,tighten the nut up. This will drain the rad but takes a little while.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back