Leaking Radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI, i have recently had a couple of leaking radiators in my nearly 30yr old system. On the first two i just drained the rad', fixed it with this 'two part' putty from a diy store, re-filled and bled radiator, and hey presto, all ok. we now have another one, and i expect i can fix this in the same way.

The wife wants me to put in new rads' as they fail, or, all at once, which i am perfectly capable of doing, but, and this is my question:

IS IT WORTH MESSING AROUND THIS, what is the state of the pipework, I am worried that the copper would be a bit thin by now, adn will need replacing too.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If it needs a new system, then its a 'get someone in' job, i could do it, but it would take too long.

Sponsored Links
i had a leak from an old wheelhead rad valve about a year ago-so replaced it with a new TRV and it was fine. (i replaced the tail and valve body)... pipework should be fine, as long as you be careful when loosening valve nuts ou shouldn't hae a prob really. is your old system a two-ipe system and using 15mm pipe up to the rads?

yes, it is a two pipe system, 15mm upto the rads, i was worried about whether the actual pipework would be 'corroded' . knowing my luck, i would drain the system and fit new rads' 'modifying where necessary, then in 6months i would get a leak from a pipe joint/bend, this is how my luck go's . . . it would save a lot of time /money/hassle if i could get away with just rads, and then when it goes, the old Potterton Netaheat can be replaced too.

well i would suggest if te pipes looks ok (no green coating visible) then thry should be fine. if you put similar size rads on then not much pipework will be required (if any) so it shouldn't be a prob. just hold the valve body carefully with 1 wrench when undo the possily stiff compression nut(s) with the other so you don't put any sress on the pipework.

Sponsored Links
agreed, i would definitely hold the body of the valve with a pair of pipe grips or a stilson or mole grips. unless of course i am gonna drain the system replace ALL rads and put new valves on too. thanks for your help, i suppose i really knew the answer but just needed a bit of re-assurance

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back