Leaking roof around chimney stack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could offer up some advise on this leak and what might be causing the issue, before i get someone in to look at it.

We had the lead work around the chimney replaced, new cowls fitted and some re-pointing done recently. I have also sealed between the lead and the tiles as I thought water was being blown between them.

With the recent bad weather there was a lot of water running down the brick and I collected quite a bit of brown water in a bucket.

IMG_9021.jpg

This wall did have plasterboard on it which i've pulled down, its clearly been leaking for quite a while

IMG_9022.jpg

Quite a bit of water was dripping down from this brick

IMG_8977.jpg

IMG_8978.jpg

IMG_8998.jpg

IMG_8982.jpg

IMG_9002.jpg

IMG_8983.jpg

Anyone have any thoughts on what could be the issue?

I'm hoping the chimney stack doesn't have to be re-built.

Many Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_8981.jpg
    IMG_8981.jpg
    390.3 KB · Views: 289
  • IMG_8984.jpg
    IMG_8984.jpg
    354.1 KB · Views: 305
Sponsored Links
Get it pointed properly, Looks like a two year old had a go with his dummy.

Soakers would be a good move too... but I doubt that the main cause here.

Its a big stack which will soak up a lot of water. things need to be right.

Lead sealant has its uses but I would not use it here. It will stick to the lead and probably not to the old brickwork. there by steering water in behind it and into the stack

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your comments.

I feel like water is definitely coming through the brickwork, the colour of the water was very dark brown.

Given how the lead comes out over the tiles are soakers still neccesary?

I've sent the images to a couple of "roofers" and they have suggested fitted a lead tray?

Maybe this in addition to re-pointing and sealing the stack might be this best option? And hope that solves it.

Just a pain getting scaffolding up again!

Chimney looks extremely damp mate from pictures
Soakers still needed due to capillary action
Lead tray definitely an idea but would involve an awful lot of work to the entire chimney mate
I know it's a bodge (kind of) but Thompson's weather seal has worked on countless chimneys for me on the south coast I use a little spray bottle and coat liberally over a few applications it does work but it's by no means a long term solution just depends how large your budget is mate

They are basically redundant now on most peoples property with more convenient forms of heating, which in itself is neglect and causes its own issues.

Chimneys are traditional and add homeliness & value to a house.
Chimney breasts set off a room - people remove them and find themselves sitting in a box.
The last few years have seen the installation of over one million wood burners or solid fuel arrangements using chimney flues - plus all the gas appliances venting up the chimney flues.

I cannot comment on the lead work nor tray, not my area, but would suggest the pointing needs to be done properly. It might be worth looking at the flaunching around the chimney pots too, whilst up there.

The stack shows eight flues - four per side. Thats a lot of penetrations through the flaunching - could be that there's hardly any flaunching left with badly fitted pots - there's no sign of a projecting flag or similar to throw water off the flaunching - a pic is needed of the top of the stack.
All eight flues would need to be swept and camera'd - the whole stack to be pointed and treated as a single unit.

The last ridge tile is cocked, and the lead saddle is too low, and goes under the tile instead of (preferred position) on top of the tile. Saddles going under tiles are well known for causing leaks.

There's an access plate/door to the RH flue gathering in the pics. Open it and search inside for whatever.
The pics of the ridge terminations are confusing - saying what you are showing would help.

Homeliness and value to a house is that your best Kirstie allsopp impression.
So you recommend sending the CCTV team up the chimney to sort out a leak?

The stack shows eight flues - four per side. - a pic is needed of the top of the stack.== got a drone ?

Saddles going under tiles are well known for causing leaks. ====:ROFLMAO:

The pics of the ridge terminations are confusing - saying what you are showing would help.
:ROFLMAO:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back