Leaking roof......help!

• Thread starter williamdjackson
  • Start date
W

williamdjackson

Hi all,

Been having an ongoing battle with a leaking roof for some time now. First noticed it as a stain on the bathroom ceiling. When I went into the loft to check it out, there was a hole in the felt and a steady drop coming in. I decided to cut the felt away to get a better look and I'm confident that I know the general area where it's coming from.

I've been up on the roof and all the tiles are fine (concrete type) with no cracks etc. Regardless, i sealed around the general area of the leak with some fibre glass type water proofing and I repointed all the ridge tiles so they're all good too......but still it leaks in.

The leak is coming in from the gable end of the house. Down this end of the roof, the tiles are finished off with a long piece of plastic extrusion which runs from the apex to the gutter. I'm wondering if this might be where its coming in and was curious to know if anyone's see anything like this before I get back out there with my pointing trowel!

Any comments and advice much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Yeah, that's the one. I think it might be tracking in along the batten?

Will try and get some photos up when I get home.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
It was too dark for outside pics when I got home and you can't really see anything in the loft ones. The set up is as you posted Alastair except my tiles are flat.

The plastic edging obviously needs to run from the bottom of one tile to the bottom of the next leaving a gap. When I've been on the loft when it rains, the water appears to come in along a batten and it's right up against the ext wall. Wondered if the batten is up against the edging and the waters running round and onto it......sounds feasible?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back