Leaking shed, having issue with nails

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The felt roof on my shed was replaced by a tradesman in Xmas 2013, he said it was 'heavy duty' felt and should last for years.

These photos were taken Xmas 2017.

outside.jpg

Closer on the left:

roof sticking up.jpg

Alternative view on the left:

close left hand side.jpg

inside, left side, you can see the ingress of water.
inside left.jpg

Close view of this ingress:

inside left  close up.jpg

Not exactly sure how the water is getting in, anyone have any ideas?

but I thought to try and hammer down the felt more since its sticking up in a few parts, so I bought these:

nails.jpg

The trouble is, with these 20mm nails, I can't hammer the nail fully into the wooden roof. I can get about 12mm (I think). Unless of course I hammer with all my might like Thor and risk going through the roof!

Any advice; should i simply try 13mm nails or just pretend I'm Thor and get on with it with the 20mm nails?

Sponsored Links
The felt tends to degrade where it is folded over the end of the gable end, plus the batten covering it can rot. Or maybe there was pre existing damp?

Blup

Over time water can also get through small tears around the holes made by the clout nails.

Blup

Consider EPDM synthetic rubber membrane the next time you do that roof, rather than felt.

Sponsored Links
To be honest, it looks like fairly standard shed felt, and often the quoted life is only around 5yrs.

The better stuff is the 35/40kg rolls.

If you're not fussed about looks, I would just patch it up for now with a tin of bitumen, on any holes/cracks/nails

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back