Leaking shower tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last night I tripped over and put my hand through my tiles and plasterboard in the shower.

The plaster is wet allong the grout lines.

I intend to strip the tiles, Let the wall dry out, treat with anti mould (only a small patch of it), treat with a silicone anti damp paint, the re tile.

Will this work, or do I have to strip out the plasterboard (which I really dont want to do).

Thanks

Sadders

Sponsored Links
I'm afraid plasterboard is a no no for shower tiles area as the grout are not 100% waterproof only water resistance. Should use something like a Aquapanel tiles backing board which is a glass reinforced cement board, the shower area need to be tank.

You need to tank the wall...how many times has this question been answered now?? I do not understand how whoever did the original tiling can look himself in the mirror and call himself a professional tiler! :rolleyes:

You can use BAL's WP1 system for example. More info here. :)

Sponsored Links
After stripping all the tiles I found the problem. There is a slow leak from the cold water pipe to the controls leaking behind the tiles and spreading along the grout lines.

The plaster is rotting, falling apart and smells of rotten eggs.

The whole lot will need stripping back.

Hopefully it will be classed as an escape of water and be an insurance job (my friend who is an insurance loss assessor is coming to have a look).

Fingers crossed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back