Leaking shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I'm new to this forum but was wondering if anybody could help me.

I am having some issues with the shower cubicle in my home. It seems to be leaking water into the plaster (behind tiles) which then 'bleeds' slowly out where the tiles end and a painted wall begins.

The cubicle is 3 tiled walls and one door. 2 of the tiled walls are plastered plasterboard on studwork, and the leaking one is plastered on block work. All 3 walls are tiled, grouted and silicone sealed at corners and bottom. There is a shower tray at the bottom, concreted into the floor.

I have tried lots of things to remedy. Most recently I dismantled the shower door frame, assuming that where the frame was attached to the wall, somehow water was getting in and soaking the plaster. Right enough, I found 1 rusted screw, so removed it, drilled out the old rawl plug, filled the hole with silicone, put another rawl plug in, filled it with silicone and put a screw in. When reassembling the shower frame, I also added a silicone bead to try and stop any water accessing where the rusty screw was found. Smug, I started using the shower again...SAME PROBLEM!!! DESPAIR!

I should explain that I've stripped the paintwork at the adjoining wall back to the pink plaster as its easier to detect when the water is soaking through than on a painted surface.

I am now at a loss. Could anybody suggest what's up with this shower? I am concerned that the plaster behind these tiles is sodden and could be doing all sorts of damage to my house. Could the water be seeping through the grouting? Is there anyway of coating it to help keep water out?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Owen[/list]

Sponsored Links
firstly check your grout to make sure the water is not permutating through and then seeping behind the tiles, finding the edges to be the way out. How long has it been tiled as unless it was epoxy grout it is NOT waterproof

Thanks for the reply.

It has been tiled from new, and has always been a problem, but only on the block wall. Not sure if relevant, but the dampness only seeps through at the lower part of the tile edge, not all the way up it (hence why I blamed the screw hole initially)

How would I check if the grout is epoxy or not? Is it possible to determine via a visual inspection?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back