Leaking shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My shower has started leaking, sending water through the floorboards and damaging the ceiling of the floor below. A plumber said water was running off the top of the bath and down the outside. At first that seemed plausable, as water does tend to escape a bit.

To cure this I went around each edge with silicone sealant. Did not work and there really don't seem to be any gaps. Also, the leak is intermittent. To me it seems like there is a leak where the hose of the shower meets the wall. [shower is mounted onto a plasterboard stud wall, with plumbing passing through the plasterboard and then down to the floorboards]. Yet the hose seems firmly fixed to the tiles/plasterboard. Maybe it isn't on the other side?

It's an Aqualiga shower and I wanted to get an opinion before I started taking the shower down. Not even sure if there is any way of getting access or whether the unit has been built in, as the bath and shower were fitted when a builder re-furbished and re-configured the bathroom.

Sponsored Links
When you say you siliconed it do you mean that you removed the old silicon and replaced it? Going over the top may not cure the problem.

Is there any grout missing from the tiles?

remove the bath panel and spray the walls with water to see if any is getting through and where.

The fact that it is intermittent sounds more likely to be some sort of seal rather than a fitting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back