Leaking shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey folks,

We got a problem. Yesterday i was having a shower and my wife said that there was water coming through the ceiling under where the shower is.

Once the shower is turned off, then the water stops.

It was quite a bad leak, with water dripping about every 2 seconds from the coving at the ceiling part (not wall).

I have had a look at the shower tray to check the sealing and there is a very small gap in the corner.

Do you think that this sounds like a pipe problem or that a re-seal job with quality sealant will work? It seemed to me to be too much water if it qwas coming through that very small gap!!

appreciate any advice.

Danny

Sponsored Links
Pour a bucket or three of water directly into the waste to eliminate that first.
Leaks can be through grout and down behind tiles too.
Whatever you do don't put silicone on top of grot. Cut and scrape out any old/loose sealants and grout (stanley knife and old carbide tile scribe respectively), clean up really well, regrout and reapply silicone. Regrouting does wonders for the appearance of the tiles and doesn't take long.

If you get a real mystery leak, make a hole in the ceiling below to look - they're quite easy to mend!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back