Leaking toilet cistern entry valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone advise on this problem please, as I only have experience of the old-fashioned ball cock cistern valves.

I have an Armitage Shanks WC cistern with an inlet as illustrated. It is leaking about two drips per second at the point marked with an arrow; there is a slot in the component which points diagonally downwards (as if for a screwdriver), the drips coming down from the slotted part. Lifting the float by hand makes no difference. I cannot isolate it because no isolating valve was fitted (before I moved in), so I really need to sort it.

How is the valve dismantled? What should I adjust or replace? and where can I get it?

Many thanks,
Alec.

Sponsored Links
Personally, I would always replace.

Turn off the water at the main stop cock.

Flush the toilet

Remove as much water from the cistern as possible using something like a plastic cup or similar.

Undo the metal nut on the tap connector underneath (some water will come out)

Undo the plastic back nut and remove the toilet valve

Fitting is in reverse (suggest a fluidmaster)

Fit a new fibre washer in the tap connector before tightening do not over tighten.

If you have a flexi connector you will not need a fibre washer.

If you are feeling confident change the tap connector for one of these

http://www.screwfix.com/p/conex-service-valve-15mm-x/76509

You will need a fibre washer for this.

Hope that helps.

I had a similar problem recently. Replacement part cost just over a tenner on ebay. :D

Sponsored Links
Many thanks to you both, particularly to Squeaky for that clear explanation. Fortunately I found on closer inspection that there was already a service valve - I missed it because it was plastic, and it pointed in such a way that it was almost impossible to insert a screwdriver. I think I'll loosen it and rotate it somewhat! Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back