Leaking Toilet Water Supply Pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I was wondering if someone could help me. Im not sure where the problem is but my toilet is leaking. This is what I have noticed.

The water supply pipe leaks water, when i disconnect it from the cistern and turn the water off at the main outside. Is this normal?

My main problem is when the water supply pipe is connected to the cistern from underneath (the way it should be), the water runs out of the "thing" that connects the water suply pipe to the cistern.

Not idea where the problem lies, if someone could help me in solving the problem that would be great.

If it is easy enough I would like to try and fix it myself.

Sponsored Links
Can you elaborate on the 'thing' ,'that connects the supply pipe to cistern?
Or post a picture of it.

kerrie,
what you have coming out of the wall is an angle stop shut-off valve connected to a flexible connector which is connected to the plastic threaded tail of a wc fill valve. The white stuff on the tail is teflon tape that helps to make a sound joint.

Shut off the water at the angle stop.
Disconnect the nut from the white tail. Having first put down a towel to catch a little water.
Wrap the tail with two wraps of teflon tape and re-connect the flexi connector nut - as you tighten the nut hold the fill valve inside the cistern/tank to stop it turning.
Dry everything with toilet paper.
Turn the water back on and observe for leaks.

Sponsored Links
Its a bit difficult to see but it looks like the WC fill valve tail may be cross threaded by the white retaining nut under the cistern,
As the last poster said remove clean off and replace carefully, if it still leaks, it will probably mean a new fill valve unit.

Thanks for your help so far dann09 and Bosswhite.

When I went to unscrew the nut, the water coming out was less. So instead of dripping out a bucket all the time, its on dripping every 9 seconds now, I looked into cistern and the fill valve unit had turned around a bit (sorry I was going to hold but had to get a grip first on that nut).

So does this mean it probably is the fill valve unit, maybe its not tight enough at the bottom of the cistern? Does that mean a new valve unit, or can I fix it?

No he meant that cleaning the Teflon tape off and putting a couple of new turns of tape around the plastic thread and put the nut back on , if it leaks again it cannot be repaired but needs to be replaced with a new fill valve. One reason for your problem is the thread looks crossed as boss white hinted at.its hard to confirm as the photo is not sharp or clear enough
With the new fill valve you need to remove the water in the cistern by cup or sponge . If you don't it will flow out of the hole when you remove the old fill valve.
Do NOT over tighten the nut when you put the new fill valve on. Hand tight and a quarter turn with a spanner to nip it. There should be a fibre washer between fill valve and the nut, get a new one when you buy the fill valve

Thanks I will purchase a Fluidmaster 400? and let everyone know how I go in replacing.

The bad news, I think I broke the push section now, but I should be able to fix it, :eek:

just replace the fill valve you don't need to put ptfe on it's not sealed on the threads, inside the nut of the flexi should be a rubber washer make sure this is ok

With respect, you wont find a fibre washer because the flexi connector, typically,has a trapped rubber washer.Check that it's not deformed.

Perhaps you dont req. a new fill valve - simply empty the cistern and remove the fill valve and clean and dry it and the cistern hole area. Examine the threads for distortion or damage. If all OK then remove the old tape and apply two wraps of new tape.

If the sealing washer on the fill valve is deformed then fit a new one, or at least reverse the old one.

Connect the flexi before nipping up the white, plastic, back nut for the fill valve.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back