Leaking Toilet,

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
The toilet has a leak where the copper pipe joins the cistern ball valve which I'm having problems stopping. The main problem seems to be that the copper pipe does not align properly with the ball valve plastic pipe. Not being a plumber I've tried to tighten it up, used PTFE tape, reseating it, etc but I've still got a small leak. The copper pipe (ancient) sits flushish (but at a slight angle) against the plastic pipe (which is quite old also) and does not have an olive fitted. Therefore what is the best way to resolve this but please remember I've not got any tools (or experience) to bend pipes or solder them.
Many thanks
Chris

Sponsored Links
If the joint is out of alignment, you are on a loser. There's no way it will seal reliably.

Is the fibre washer in the connector in good condition?

What has changed to throw the joint out of alignment?

Overtightening the joint often damages the plastic threads on the ball valve. The only answer then is to change the ball valve.

If all else fails, cutting back the pipework, and fitting a flexible hose may be the answer. You could use a push-fit one if you are sure the pipework is 15mm, but I would prefer compression fitting if you are unsure of the exact size, as the fittings will usually accomodate either 15mm or 1/2"

There's only a few thousandths of an inch difference between 1/2" Imperial and 15mm Metric pipe, making it difficult to tell by measuring, but it's enough difference to stop pushfit from working properly.

Ah, there could lie the proble, there is no fibre washer. As for teh misalignment I think who ever done the plumbing in the house before we bought it made somewhat of a bodge job as you should see some of the ways things are connected up. I'll have another go.

Sponsored Links
If you are at all handy with a junior hacksaw and spanners I would go with TicklyT's suggestion--- compresion fittings and flexi

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back