Leaking towel rail - what do I need?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just turned the valve on the kitchen towel rail and it's immediately started leaking - probably the first time in years it's been moved. I've never done anything to radiators and will get a plumber in if I must but I've just spent a fortune on a new boiler recently (and then had to get another plumber in to change the drain cock the first plumber left leaking but didn't have time to come back but anyway...) so if this isn't likely to be too difficult.

I've indicated where the leak is - am I right that this shouldn't require draining? Assuming I take the while cover off using the screw and then see if it needs to be tightened up?

[I have noticed a blue patch to the left of the valve - possibly a historic leak?]

any thoughts much appreciated.

towel rail.jpg

Sponsored Links
Yes, could just be a gland nut that needs tightening

Pull white cap off and tighten nut. About ⅛ to ¼ turn. That's all. Will turn easy and see if it stops.

Re white plastic cap. May have screw in holding on? Can't see. Some pull off

I would recommend you back the nut off a 1/5th of a turn first, will help it to seat better.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back