leaking towel rail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

We have recently renovated our bathroom, and the plumber removed the new towel rail so I could decorate behind. I am having a little trouble refitting it and not getting it to leak.

The fitting is a sort of compression type with a rubber o-ring. Pictures of both ends of joint below.

I am using PTFE on the thread, but cannot seem to get it to stop weeping. Should I change the o-rings, or use something like lsx to help seal it. Advice would be much appreciated,

thanks

Simon

IMG_20181105_201133801.jpg
IMG_20181105_201149359.jpg

Sponsored Links
You may have overtightened the joint/s and damaged the "O" rings. If so replace o rings ,and check the leak isnt from above where it threads into the rad.

thanks, I wondered if that might be the case. I did not spot the o-rings originally, so did tighten quite a lot, will get new ones tomorrow. The leak is from above where is threads in the rad

So its the valve tail that threads into the rad thats leaking ?? Is that joint as it was when plumber removed the rad ,or have you fitted new ones ? If so you probably have not applied enough tight wraps , in the correct rotation ,of ptfe tape.

Sponsored Links
Hi, yes that is how the plumber left it. I think I applied PTFE in the correct rotation, i used 7 turns.
The nut attaches from the top to the thread which is on the bottom when fitted. The leak is coming from the top the nut.

I think we are talking at cross purposes. The big nut that screws directly onto the valve does not need ptfe tape. The O ring makes the seal. The thread that you cant see ,as it is inside the rad ,above the big nut is sealed with ptfe.

Sorry, I think we might have been at cross purposes. I think I have found the cause of the leak though. There is damage on the o-ring. Will replace tomorrow, and tighten gently this time
IMG_20181105_220949947.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back