Washers for towel rail valves?

16 Sep 2007
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I'm replacing a towel rail and not surprisingly when I removed the valves the sealing washers fell apart so I need to find some replacements.

Does anyone know what type of washers are used in towel rail valves, are they rubber o-ring or flat washers, or indeed does it really matter?

Sponsored Links
What dealing washers are you referring to? Probably just ptfe tape/locatite 55. Any photo?
Are you talking about the union between the the radiator tail and the valve? I guess it isn't a 15mm compression fitting with olives, it a large fluted end with a rubber seal on it and then a large nut that fits on to the valve end?

There are several types, ones that are just brass to brass, ones that use o rings (they have a groove near the end), some use conical seals (if there's a step at the end). You may be able to get o rings to replace if you're lucky to find the right size and never seen replacement conical seals.
A few turns of gas PTFE tape (thicker) overlapping the end should do the job or replace the union tails with new ones that fit properly. You might have to take the tail out of the rad to get the nut far enough back to get to the full face of the union to use tape properly.

Either that or just replace the valve and tails.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links