Leaking unvented cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all , i have a gledhill indirect stainless lite solar (not connected up or used atm ) unvented cylinder which has got my plumber baffled . About a year ago the cylinder started leaking through a small opening in the insulation at the bottom of the cylinder .my installer couldnt see where it was leaking from , but i had noticed that there was somw corrision in the thermastat under the cap.i replaced the thermostat and the leak appeared to stop, even though nobody coukd explain why this appeared to work . Today the leak has reappeared but worse with water all over the boiler room
Floor . Has anyone got any ideas as to what is happening.gledhill are pretty useless and wont pay for any labour charges and will only give a partial refund of a new cylinder once they have confirmed a fault back at base

Sponsored Links
Gledhill request that all replacement immersions are Titanium element type in their stainless models to minimise corrosion and extend life.

My merchant (the largest UK independent) sells lots of stainless Gledhill cylinders, but when I asked for a Titanium immersion heater they have to special order them and say no one has ever asked for one before.

So you might like to see what it says on the cap, willing to bet it isn't a Titanium one (because they are more expensive).

As far as I know a common Incoloy element is totally suitable for a stainless cylinder.

But you have to be careful because some of them whilst having an Incoloy element still have a copper thermostat pocket.

The replacement thermstat was a like for like as thd original one supplied with the cylinder as was about £80 . Like i said before though i dont think it was thd thermostat before and definatly not now as its dry inside and on threads etc

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back