Leaking valley?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Not long after moving into our house last winter, I noticed some of the plaster was damp at the side of the dormer window in my daughter's bedroom. On inspecting the roof from a ladder, I noticed some of the mortar was missing and the valleys were full of vegetation. See below picture.

At the time, I had a "handyman" friend of the family come round and clear the "greenery" and repoint the missing mortar.

However, after redecorating in my daughter's room I have noticed the damp has gradually come back. As before, the damp plaster is below the point marked by the red spot in the 2nd picture.

I have since had a couple of different roofing contractors come round to look at it and give price estimates. The first recommended replacing the existing "plastic" valleys with lead. The second recommended painting over the existing valleys with a fibre glass resin. Both propose to relay and repoint the immediate tiles surrounding the valley. They also both recommend doing both valleys as it is likely to be only a matter of time before the one on the other side of the dormer fails too, I agree that this makes sense as I have also seen at first hand just how crumbly and brittle the existing mortar is.

My question is: Is painting the existing valley just a short term fix, or is it better to pay the extra for the lead, or alternatively are new GRP valleys the best option?

I must stress that I intend to stay in this house for another 20 years at least, so I want the problem fixing properly and don't mind paying a bit extra now if it means I end up with a better job long term.

Thanks

Mike

Sponsored Links
Looking @ the red spot marking the damp patch - I wonder if the valley is the cause , or the dormer cheek :idea: The tile profile , wood cladding round the dormer , and apron under the window ( not shown ) are where I would be looking first - the valley area might just need re cementing . Overall it`s a horrible detail tiles/wood etc - just my opinion - hope it`s helpful to you . I would clad the dormer cheeks in lead, to do away with the wood , and bring it round the front of the window -

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back