Leaking valleys down the side of dorma window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a leak down one side of a dorma window in the attic bedroom. I recently replaced the plaster and lathes with plasterboard but couldn't see anything wrong from underneath. I have also been on the roof and inspected, there was some debris in the valley but moving this hasn't cured the problem. The lead in the valley looks sound but it seems to be leaking from near the top. I have a few options to solve this:

1) get a roofer in
pros:hard to find good trustworthy roofer, expensive
cons:if done correctly will be a proper job
2) cover the valley over with flashing tape
pros:unsightly, unsure about longevity
cons:cheaper, can DIY it

I'm in a terrace house and alot of the other dorma's have flashing tape covering the valleys which is why I am thinking about it. normally I would have a proper job done but lack of funds, baby on the way and the fact that I've just decorated the bedroom and need to get it fixed before any prolonged rain comes.

Any advise would be most welcome
Thanks
Jim

Sponsored Links
sorry for bad photo's as the roof is still wet and I can't get on it

this is mine
mine.jpg

this is next door with flashing tape
nextdoor.jpg

Your next door neighbour flashing is only for short term solution although you may get away with it but could do long term damaged to the roof section if not known, you really need a professional roofer because removing slate tiles is not easy and it might not even be where you think the leak is :!: It could be coming from your flat roof or the flashing on top of the flat roof etc.

As for getting a good roofer, you could try your local BCO planning for recommendation

Sponsored Links
Thanks masona. I think I'm gonna have to get a proper roofer in.
What is the bco? All I keep finding is british council for offices

Building Control Office at your local planning dept

I've had a good look at the roof now and it looks like the water is coming in from the top were he gutter ends
roof1.jpg

looks like I cut the guter a bit too short when I replaced it earlier in the year
roof2.jpg

I am thinking I can patch this up with some lead flashing and it will then be good.
What is the best way to do it? should I take the gutter off and put the lead behind that a bit and under the other soaker and over the tile? should I put a liner between the gutter and the wooden strut?

Thanks for any comments
Jim

You may get away with replacing the missing tiles and re-run the gutter longer with 2 stop ends bracket and a small downpipe keeping the water away form the area on the corner, you will gain the extra gutter length when putting in the downpipe

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back