Leaking valve in boiler circuit to pressurised cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My CH and hot water are out of action because of a leak from the block valve next to the tundish in the picture - pressure on the gauge on the boiler had dropped to zero and when I tried to refill it it just sprays out from the stem of this valve. You can see rust marks suggesting to me that the valve has corroded - if it's original to the system it's about twelve years old.

It's a Vaillant system boiler and pressurised cylinder and the valve is on a tee off the feed from boiler to cylinder coil.

Replacing this valve looks straightforward, but two questions:

- am I allowed to touch this, given it's a pressurised system? Does it make a difference that it's on the boiler circuit not the cylinder itself?

- if so, is there anything I need to know about re-pressurising the system afterwards?

Thanks for any advice!

Attachments

• IMG_4779.jpg
    IMG_4779.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 58
Sponsored Links
That valve should never have been put there and imo serves no purpose. Yes you can replace it, but I’d just replace it with some copper and coupling. Pressurised makes no difference, but you can’t work on the safety of the cylinder (G3), but you’re not touching that side?

Thanks. The thing above the block valve looks like a bleed valve, is that to bleed air out of the boiler circuit? I guess the block valve was there in case the bleed valve started leaking :)

Sponsored Links
Yes it’s a manual air vent for the circuit, connected to the boiler/heating.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back