Leaking window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I discovered a damp patch in the corner of the room which has a UPVC window above it. I pulled some of the plaster away and could see some drops of water on the beam, I've poured water outside to find out where the leak is coming from. Poured it all over the sill, the flashing, the window frame and roof tiles and all is ok. I filled the inside of the window track with water and when the water goes out of the weep holes it drips every second on that beam. I thought it was a gap in the track perhaps so I plugged the weep holes and filled the track with water and the water sat their and was not leaking out and no drips on beam. I unblocked the weep holes to allow the water to drain and it all drained with about 15 seconds and the leak started again. Would I be best just plugging the weep holes? or is there a way to check underneath the track, perhaps there is a crack in the channel as water that goes through the weep holes should only be going out the sill and not into the house???? please help, need to get this sorted before I have major issues

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Can you post some pics?
Is the window still under guarantee?

My first guess would be that the ends of the cill were not sealed properly before the window was sat on it. This may mean the window needs to come out and be refitted or if the outside is rendered it may be possible to knock off the corners to seal it then re-render.

Further when water is poured into drainholes it does not run outside I suspected the external drain holes were clogged however when I try to clean them out with the paperclip I could not feel an opening I could not seen opening from the outside either. Perhaps the external drain holes where not put it when manufactured and I need to drill through the window frame to create external drainholes to allow the water to drain away. in the pic you will see a hole in the window frame this hole had silicon in it I remove this and found when water is poured into drainholes it now leaks out of that hole instead of running into the cavity. from the outside there is a cable that goes into the cill and it can be seen from this hole. some numpty has drilled this so they can guide this unknown cable through the window frame. This hold is directly below the internal drainhole probably the window frame is damaged from being drilled by some numpty however if I fill that drainhole and create a new internal and external drainhole before this hole in the frame then would this cure My leak. I could also pump some silicon into that hole to prevent it Running down the cill into the cavity

It could be one of a hundred things but I suspect the problem is the cable going through the cill/bottom of the frame.

Is that cable needed? Could you reroute it through the wall and seal up the holes they made in the window?

The ends of the cills are open chambers so any water getting in there is just running out of the end. The ends of the cills are never sealed as its assumed noone is silly enough to drill big holes through them :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Looking at that 1st pic one more time... It is possible that they have breached the chambers in both the cill and frame. If so the window would need to come out to be sealed/repaired.

Looking at the state of it, I personally would look at getting a new window. Your probably looking at about £100 supply only or £250-300 fitted (im assuming by the pics its a small window).
If you do go new, Go for a normal outwards opening window not a tilt and turn if possible... Cheaper and less problems when things go wrong with the locks.

Not a small window as you can see from the below pic.
Water poured through drip holes cause leak so doubt it is the cable, I've put a new e gasket on and rubber strip around the window to make a tighter seal and it has been ok since

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back