Leaking Windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Picture the scene. Glasgow. Winter. Rain. More Rain. Again, more rain.

Ground floor window is now leaking water between the upvc dg frame and the internal timber surround; where they meet at the top.

I imagine I could reapply sealant here to stop the drips (hopefully) but that still means there is water getting between the outer wall (there is a cavity with insulation) and behind/on top of the glazed units.

Externally there is a small lip of roughcasting over the top of the dg unit and it looks intact but I'll look more closely in the daylight tomorrow.

Is there something in the installation that should have be done to take water away? Anyone seen this kind of thing before and recommend fix? Is reapplying the internal sealant the right fix? Do I need to get some ladders, get wet and look at the external sealant in more detail...?

Sponsored Links
I’m a little confused as to why there is still a timber surround on the inside, it’s usual to remove the timber surround completely, back to the brickwork reveal when fitting new UPVC frames. I'm afraid your gonna get wet as it’s the outside you need to be looking at; most windows have a UPVC gutter come lip along the top edge to deflect any water running down the brickwork above away from the window. The frame should also be recessed into the brick surround at least 25mm (new builds is 50mm) & the whole lot should have been bedded & sealed around the outer edge with low modulus silicone frame sealer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back