Leaks around windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After the rain last night got a damp patch around the edge one of my double glazed windows, i cant work out why, the window is properly sealed isnt that old, what can i do?, add some more sealent?, put some mortar round edge,or use some of that ronseal weather proofer on the brickwork right next to the cill?. The doesnt seem to be any kind of gap in the mastic/plastic/brickwork

Sponsored Links
No doubt you have inspected the outside of the frame and, from your comments, the damp patch is in the cill area. The profile of UPVC window sections, ie, the frame, does allow a leak, from anywhere around the frame, to appear at the cill area with the water running down the profile channels. When this happened to me I found the leak in a carelessly applied section of the window frame sealant at the very top of the window but, the damp appeared at the cill area. The recent heavy driving rain might, I suggest, have found a small fracture, possibly in the sealant at the top of your window and, if the frame protrudes from the brickwork, even only slightly, you might get a small amount of "standing water" which has to drain somewhere.

So would you advise i put new sealent round the entire window ?and if so any particular type?, actually found the problem round two of the originally double glazed windows, had rest replaced and they are fine

Sponsored Links
no its definately water coming in, so should i just reseal or do i need to do owt else?

Phil

Are the windows UPVC or wood and is the water leaking in from around the edge of the actual frame or is it seeping in between the glass and glazing gasket?

the windows are upvc and the water is coming from around the edge of the actual frame.

So should i just re-silicone round the edge of the windows?

I seem to remember that the common, DIY store type of silicone cartridge, has a guarantee of 10 years. Perhaps it does degrade after this time or, does the trade use something longer lasting ? If your windows are older than 10 years, yes, I would say that the best remedy would be to cut out the old sealant and re-silicone the frame/brickwork joint.

thanks will do, but these windows are only 2-3 yrs old!, so proberly a crappy install

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back