Leaks from the ceiling when operating the shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I just bought a flat and when I operate the shower I have leaks from the bathroom ceiling. I had a look and it seems the water pipe goes from the water tank to the shower head by going through the false ceiling. Now, I've called a plumber but he can't have a look if he can't access the source of the leak. Which means taking that ceiling apart.
Is there any other way to find and fix the source of that leak?
How difficult is it to take the false ceiling apart? And how to put it back?
Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Fit access hatch in ceiling or cut hole and repair afterwards, fairly simple procedure.

Hatch in link is commercial size/quality you can get something for around £20 ,
http://www.screwfix.com/p/access-panel-200-x-150mm/20924
if cutting plasterboard you would go for a large hole since it give good access and is no more difficult to repair than a small hole.
Sharp stanley knife thru a marked out square in the ceiling, if you are lucky will pop out in one piece and can be screwed back to a couple of batons installed along its edges.If it happens to span a timber then you may have to cut along the timber to remove in two pieces, though you should be able to locate fixing screws and remove neatly.
Bit of filler once installed and sand smooth.

Sponsored Links
This is my plan:
* Cut a hole in the plaster board where the water is leaking. Check where the pipe is or where the leak is coming from, hopefully not far from that hole.
* Cut a bigger hole to fit the access panel
* Repair the leak either myself or got a plumber in.
* Fit access panel, put some filer, sand and paint.

If you use acess panel should be no filling required, buy before you start so you have a template.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back