Leaky Boiler valve.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a valve on a pipe that feeds into my boiler that is leaking.The valve has a red circular handle for turning on and off. Just behind the handle their is a nut that has water leaking out from between the nut and the arm that connects to the handle.Can anyone tell me how to sort it out ?Do i just turn the valve off then undo the nut ,i'm a little nervous about removing the nut in case i get water gushing out everywhere.Any advice would be greatly appreciated.Thanks. :cry:

Sponsored Links
This is not just a valve! Its a Pressure Release Valve.

From you obvious lack of experience of dealing with these parts I am reluctant to gave you any advice as you might get in a mess and as its a safety device you could possibly stop it from working and allow an explosion.

I think you need someone more experienced to help you.

Tony

Thanks Tony, I have about four of these sort of valves in my boiler cupboard,are they all pressure release valves.?Thanks. :confused:

These sound more like Gate Valves, but without seeing the one you've got I'm not sure. If it is a Gate Valve it will have a roughly circular handle of about 2inch diameter. When these are fully turned off (switch heating off first) you can then remove the handle (small nut on top) and undo the nut underneath the arm without any further leakage and possibly repack it.
It's called the Gland Nut and on some versions you can seal a small leak by repacking it with grease and retighten. On some though you have to replace the valve which could mean draining down the whole system.
Have you tried just tightening the gland nut to see if the leak stops?

Sponsored Links
Thanks dja, will try what you suggested.Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back