Leaky chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am not in the trade so will try to explain. Please keep answers simple too!!
I live in a terraced house built in 1884 and due to the slope of the road, my house is one foot higher than next door. I got the exposed one foot of exposed gabling between our properties re-rendered last year due to damp coming through into the attic (now converted into a room) but this did not cure the problem. The damp is on the wall between our properties next to both front and rear chimneys that I also share with my neighbour.
Is it more likely that the mortar/render between the bricks of the chimney has worn allowing damp in, or that the flashing (horizontal) has gone? I doubt that any work has been done on the roof since it was built!
A builder has suggested a re-build for both chimneys - how much would this cost if there is such a thing as an average cost? The chimneys are about 5 feet high if that helps. Would they need to re-use the existing bricks, or use new ones.
I got both chimneys re-rendered last year as well ........ I thus though that they were watertight, or can rain penetrate new render?? I wonder if I could claim on the insuance?
I can't upload a photo as I am away on holiday - sorry!

Sponsored Links
When you get back - post some photos :idea: could be a lot of things - starting with flues number of and used/not used ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back