Leaky Radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My radiator has 2 bubbles in it and water is now dripping out of one of the bubbles. The bubbles look like bubbled up paint when it is being removed with a heated paint stripper. The radiator is only 6 months old. Is it likely that the radiator has a manufacturing fault or is it more likely that it was caused when it was fitted?

Sponsored Links
If the bubble isn't near any threaded in part, then its more likely to be from a porous welded seam, I should think......very unlikely to be rusted through at that age.
John :)

John, I took your kind advice and told the radiator supplier that it should not have rusted through after only a few months. They made me have a water test which has just come back with the results. The reults say that the person that fitted it did not refill the system with inhibitor. They are saying that because there isnt any inhibitor then that is the cause for the internal corrosion and subsequent leak.

A different plumber looked at the radiator this morning and he says that even if there is no inhibitor in the system it would take years before corrosion would start causing a leak. Why have the other 3 radiators not leaked if the lack of inhibitor was the problem?

The supplier says its all my fault and the lack on inhibitor caused the leak so they refuse to replace the radiator.

I've just looked on the supplier's website and there is a "Good Idea Leaflet" for central heating radiators and there is no mention anywhere that you need to use inhibitor!!!!

Any suggestions what i do next?

They're trying to wriggle out of it. No radiator should perforate in 6 months, with or without inhibitor.

Sponsored Links
Take the rad back literally and ask for a replacement under its years gaurantee. They are in breach of the contract in supplying goods of poor quality.

Point out that rads normally come with a 10 yr gaurantee and that you will pursue this matter through the small claims court. :D

As burnerman says it has not corroded through lack of inhibitor, its impossible in such a short time. It is a pourous weld,in other words a manufacturing fault.

I have just filed a claim through the small claims court so wait and see what happens!

Thanks again to you all for the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back