Leaky shower enclosure - silicone question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

From what I've been reading, this seems to be a somewhat classic scenario!

Basically, shower tray wasn't siliconed before the frame went in, so the water that made it into the frame rather than drain back into the tray, found the small gap between the tile and tray behind the frame and has caused a leak.

I've taken the frame out and want to reseal around the whole tray where it meets the tiles just to be safe, before refitting the frame.
However, the vertical silicone in the internal corners (where it's tiles making the corner) is perfect and doesn't need replacing. My question is, can I redo the horizontals around the tray and make an effective join with the vertical beads in the two corners? Or do I really need to scrape out the verticals as well and redo them to get a waterproof corner/join?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Re seal the horizontal and up the vertical ,after removing 150 mm of the vertical silicone ,overlapping the vertical join. That will make it easier to fully seal the corners where they meet the tray.

Great. Thanks. That was my next question!

I've cleaned it all off, been over it with meth spirits. My plan is to silicone the shower tray tonight, making sure that where the frame will sit against the wall, it's sealed but flush with the tiles. Let it dry over night and then fit the frame tomorrow and silicone the outside, dry over night and hopefully showering by Sunday evening!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back