refitting shower door & frame after leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
looking for a bit of advice from the experts, had a new shower enclosure installed last year with a sliding door & fixed panel screen. Discovered last week that water has found a route out & has started to damage the skirting & floor right at the corners where the 2 wall channels meet the tray. Think I've caught it before there was any serious damage, I removed the door & frame last night & discovered that the fitter hadn't run a bead of silicon between the tiles & the wall channels before fixing them, same goes with the tray & the bottom of the frame. Seems to be some conflicting advice out there about whether or not to use silicone in these areas before securing the frame, and obviously I chucked the instructions as soon as we were up & running. My instinct is to run a healthy bead up the tiles & along the front of the tray before fitting the frame, then wipe away the excess that squeezes out, and once that's all cured seal round the outside of the frame where it meets the wall / tray - is this the best plan?
cheers

Sponsored Links
Personally I always run silicon behind the wall profile before screwing it to the wall, then on the bottom of the profile (inside the rebate) where it joins the tray.

silicon all joins outside

Nice one, cheers Squeaky

pic shows damage - I'm guessing its happened because the guy did the silicon inside the shower AFTER the frame was fitted, so there's a 40mm gap between where the bead stops & the edge of the tray, this would have been covered by the profile when he was sealing it.

View media item 76442
plan is to complete the silicone bead along the bottom of the tiles, run a bead up the full height of the profiles and along the front of the bottom rail, then fix the frame & door back into place & once that's cured do the seals on the outside of the frame. Seem legit?

Most shower enclosures are not fully sealed on the internal face - allows water to escape into the shower tray.

Bed the wall and base profile on silicone, especially where the tray meets the wall, before fitting and ensure that all the external joints are sealed

Sponsored Links
As newboy says, you don't normally silicon inside the frame apart from sometimes a couple of inches at the bottom (although I have seen instructions for this a couple of times) but generally not.

cheers lads, hopefully get this knocked on the head over the weekend

original

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back