Lean To Roof - ply/felt or polycarb ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Am planning to build a lean to between the side of our house and the garden wall. I'm generally OK with this but am struggling a bit with the roof.

Any ideas ? The span is 1.6m. Polycarb ? Ply and felt ? A slight complication is the chimney that sticks out of the wall

And the last one is what would you suggest re. flashings ? Don't want water dripping down the side of the house etc.

Ta in advance

Front.jpg
Plan.jpg

Sponsored Links
Depends what you intend for the room, poly will turn it in to a green house and be expense due to lengths available .
Felt or EPDM are easier for diy.
You will need lead flashing cut in above the apex.

Great thanks - I'll go with the ply and felt option

Would 4x2 be ok for the rafters and rest of the frame - span is only 1.6m

a solid roof will last longer but be dark
a poly roof will let light through
don't forget a gutter
I don't know who owns the wall

a polly roof could be built to allow ladder access to above easier than wood

Sponsored Links
Polycarbonate roof allows for natural light and flashband can be used (for either kind) instead of lead and will last years if properly fixed: guttering essential if you can route it to a drain.

Rain sounds much louder on plastic roof but unlikely to be an issue if for storage only.

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back